Friday, January 30, 2009

Personal Computer Story

The moment that computers began impacting my life was in fifth grade. At that time, all of my friends were members of Yahoo! Messenger and every night when I would come home from school we would all instant message each other. Also, in seventh grade in Connect class, I remember playing Oregon Trail every Friday and also wokring throughout the class period on typing programs and perfecting the home row. In high school, we were required to take Computer Application, which was a course who taught us how to use Microsoft Office, make resume's, improve typing accuracy and speed, and also taught the various functions of the internet. Since I come from a family of six, my three other siblings and I always fought over the computer. My brother was a gamer, my sister was in MySpace, and my other sister was into Yahoo! and MSN Messenger. Since then, my computer education has improved immensely as well as expanding my usage.
Right now, the main reason I use the computer is for educational purposes; such as typing papers, ordering textbooks, emailing teachers, etc. However; in the last couple years I have been an avid Facebook-er because it is a really good way to keep in touch with high school friends that have moved away to attend college. Also, I keep in touch with relatives that live in other towns and states through email, which is a really great way to connect with them. I have yet to buy a laptop since I have entered school. I do think I could really use one, but I make good use of the libraries free computers as well as my friend's laptops. The computer and also the internet's importance in my life has certainly grown and I can only project that its importance will increase as I grow older.

1 comment: